Friday, July 3, 2009

Oprah.... *Sigh*


I've been off being sick the last week with a throat infection, and so I was bed-ridden and TV bound. Flipping through channels, Oprah caught my eye (proof of my sickness) with her show on "extreme life extension". This is a show where she parades her favorite doctor (Dr. Oz) who has a new diet out that will extend your life! This is a one-time-only offer available on this show only!

This is the breakdown (very shortly): you eat healthy, and work out. Revolutionary I know. They also recommend that you undertake what is now called a "calorie reduction diet" (Again, mind blowing). What this means is that you *only* eat 1900 calories per day, forcing each cell in your body to become more efficient. Now, I don't know about most people out there, but my metabolism is as fast traffic in New York, so if I want to even just not gain weight, I can eat, at most, 1600 calories a day. But nevermind.

They brought out a guy that follows this and has been for 8 years. He is 60, and doctors say his heart is that of an athletic 20 year old. How does he do it? He starts the day with a large bowl of berries and nuts. A WHOLE bowl. That's about 10 dollars just for breakfast, and he has to make it himself. For lunch, he goes out for a family sized bowl of veggies, again, at LEAST 10 bucks. All in all, he probably spends between 40-50 dollars per DAY on food. Even during a recession, and with food prices at an all time high. He also has a large home gym. Turns out, he's a successful attorney. Wonderful. They say he may actually live to 150.

So if you want to live a long healthy life - be rich.

Thanks Oprah, for the as always insightful and class-conscious comments. You're truly everyone's woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment