Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Change

I've been thinking a lot about change and moving on lately. I've been told all my life that as you age, accepting change becomes more difficult, and that you cannot "teach an old dog new tricks". This has always been terrifying for me as a kid, because I love change. Stagnation for me is death. To lose that would be to lose myself.

Then I went to university, and learned a couple of things. For example, statistics show that older people (50+) are just as willing to learn new things in the workplace, they just happen to recieve almost 5 times less money in training, for a number of reasons.

This tells me something though - I don't think you lose your ability to accept change because of your age. What this is is just another excuse. It's another of the "I can't do that because of *insert relevant stereotype* and that's that". Why is it that people in one breath fight vehemently against being put in a box and in the next rely on stereotypes to avoid going outside it.

Embrace change, people, or at least find a better excuse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment