Friday, May 8, 2009

Miss Naked Beauty

Probably my favorite (read: only one I watch) reality tv show. I'm not sure why it's not more popular, I suppose because it's all about doing some good, rather than doing something disgusting for a chance at a lot of money.

The premise of the show is quite simple: 12 girls compete for a job. The job: an ambassador representing real beauty and campaigning for more real women in advertising.

The challenges have included dumping their make up, creating advertising campaigns, dealing with the media, and coming to terms with parts of their bodies they don't like (in a photo shoot). 

Watching them has been quite inspiring and I hope more people tune in (regardless of gender). 

On a more general note, it saddens me how boys and girls are growing up surrounded by plastic barbies and kens as role models. What's even worse is that for the most part, women talking about better role models for young girls are generally doing everything in their power to fit those same molds, and young boys don't get any role models speaking to them about body image at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment