Saturday, June 20, 2009

ANC wins South Africa elections


Shockingly. Led by corruption-fraught Jacob Zuma, the ANC took yet another majority government win in the recent elections.

I might be looking at it from a too Western perspective, but in my mind, if the leader of a party has been accused of racketeering, fraud, bribes (which he has not been acquitted from) as well as accusations of rape and sex with a woman who is HIV+ without a condom, among other issues, this would not be the man I'd want running my country. Between his endless racist comments about white people (including devoted anti-apartheid activist and leader of the opposition, Helen Zille), his comments on gay and lesbian couples (especially when compared to his endless affairs and marriages - who is the real disgrace?), support of that psycho Mugabe (claiming that the blacks of Zimbabwe like the guy!), etc etc etc. I could go on.

Is it just a matter of voting for the party that kicked out the whites? Because they did that 15 years ago, perhaps it's time for a new accomplishment. On the other hand, Zille has been chosen to be Mayor of the Year 2008 for her work in reinventing Cape Town as a safe city with much government housing (which is the responsibility of the state to provide) and the highest literacy rate in Africa. I get that there used to be apartheid, and I get that the wounds to that will probably never quite heal. But it's a democracy now! Vote for the person who is working to make SA better!! Rather than spending their time taking care of their 5 wives, 18 children, and bailing out their friends from jail. All I've been able to hear from supporters is that he used to be very active during apartheid (40 years ago), and that because he's Zulu, he understands all black people. Excuse me if I (a) don't care what he did 40 years ago if that's his last achievement, and (b) assume that there's a bit more to black culture and history than one guy. I couldn't say I understand all white people, could I?

Why don't people just try to learn about each other? Learning is fun! I don't know. I really don't. All I know is - I'm pissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment