Saturday, May 30, 2009

North Korea's Bad Choices

Firstly, allow me to apologise. I've been away from the computer for a few days with a migraine, and still writing this with sunglasses on (I've been called Blade several times over the past week). I'm still a bit out of it so expect a few less posts for the next week while I recover.

Anyway, North Korea! I have to say, they could not have been stupider. First of all, western countries are feeding Kim Jon Il's citizens (because he won't) in hopes that he won't wouldn't develop nuclear technology. Now, that support is likely to come to an end. Thanks to that, the poor poor POOR people of North Korea are going to see a reduction in quality of life from terrible to unlivable. There are even rumours of citizens going into fields for GRASS to supplement their diet because not enough rice is available). GRASS. I'm just trying to picture how I would feel about my lunch if it were soup consisting of water and GRASS. Keep in mind grass has no nutritional properties, so it's not really like eating veggies either. It's just GRASS. Unbelievable.

I have a somewhat vested interest in stories from North Korea and Cuba because I was raised in the Soviet Union (though most of my memorable experience with that leadership is vicariously through my parents) and this sort of news always interests me and frightens me at the same time. I'd like to ask why the good people of North Korea are not revolting, but it seems a bit naive. There is no internet access there AT ALL, there is no real news of the outside world, hell, there's no food. None. I mean, if people are eating GRASS for God's sake. But at the same time, I think we could be doing more. Just like we could be doing more in Sri Lanka, or Zimbabwe, or Colombia, or Afganistan, to name a few.

Everyday I'm amazed by how little our government does to protect their citizens and to help defend human rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment